Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Pick some areas and do something

Per my prior assessment, I can make changes here:

  • (varies wildly) $200 to $750 - Personal: Allowance, Poker, Education, Vacation, Subscriptions and Dues, Gifts, Other Entertainment, Misc.
  • $495 - Utilities: Gas, Electricity, Cable, Internet, Water, Cell Phone
  • $300 - Food: Groceries, Restaurants, Fast Food
  • $35 - Debt: Finance Charges, Debt Reduction Payments
  • $0 - Misc: Savings, Other
I've reordered them in descending order.  I think I should start with the biggest ones.

Detailed assessment of each area:
  • Personal
    • Poker: Can come out of my allowance, instead of the household budget.  It usually does now, but that's not as firm as it should be.
    • Subscriptions & Dues: I canceled my GameFly subscription just now.  That's $25/month saved.  Yay!
    • Other Entertainment: This should also come ONLY out of my allowance from now on.
    • Vacation: I have to pay the timeshare every other year, but I can be careful about additional vacation expenses.  We don't currently have any planned, but this is an area I can watch and be careful with.
  • Utilities
    • Water: This is one of my biggest.  I'm using a ton of water somehow.
      • See if sprinkler system is in winter mode.  Adjust sprinkler times if necessary.
      • Check if rear toilet is leaking
      • Make sure water level in washer is appropriate to load size
      • Do not run water while brushing teeth.
    • Gas: I'm definitely using the heater a lot
      • Reduce daytime temperature in house
      • Reduce after-bed termperature in house
      • Check for drafts and see if I can fix any
    • Electricity
      • Turn off lights when not in room
      • Turn off various ceiling fans
      • Consider putting computer on timer rather than running constantly
      • Shut off air purifier
      • Unplug various unused AC items
    • Cable & Internet
      • Call and see if they'll reduce my rates at all
    • Cell Phone: This is entirely out of hand
      • Go through bill with fine-tooth comb and see what can be done here.
  • Food - I've already cut out fast food and restaurants.  And I'm having trouble staying within $300 as it is.  I think I'll leave this one alone for now and instead set the following goals:
    • Make reasonable menus, including plans to eat frozen meals
    • Reduce waste
    • Start incorporating pantry into menu
    • Revisit this area each month to see if additional improvements can be made yet.
  • Debt
    • I think this one is about the best it can be for now.  All interest rates are low at the moment, and I can't afford to make faster/higher/more payments yet.
  • Misc.
    • Nothing I can do with this for now.  Will revisit each month
 

Changes made:
Cancelled Gamefly

Realized Savings from last month::
$0 - Just starting

Additional proposed savings for next month:
$25 - Gamefly
$25 - Utilities(starting small)
===========
$50 - Total Proposed Savings

No comments:

Post a Comment